I am doing research on Twitter trends and defining them in general, in
order to develop better algorithms.  So this is very timely and
instead of starting a new thread, perhaps we can expand it a bit.

There's quite a few services doing twitter trends already, and most
are doing it with a simple pragmatic approach as defined by David
above.

I wonder if the operators of those services could say a few words here
about their approaches.  If we keep an overview of the field and
develop ways to compare and evaluate trend-tracking algorithms, it
will become science and will work better.

Cheers,
Alexy