It's definitely not going to be based on sheer volume, but rather
delta based on some averages. You need to filter out natural language
too, as that can be all over the place. Although it's a different (and
also secret) algorithm, take a look at http://twitscoop.com and watch
their trend cloud change, might help give some ideas for algorithms
etc.