Yes, it seems a bit of a mess, but rely on the API, and the responses it gives you. The web based advanced search is a nice way to do a quick visual test, but as you have seen, can spit out some bizarre things.

I think the bash script will help you definitively answer anything you need to though, you can stuff pretty much anything into it, and at least run some solid tests against it.

Good luck