We are seeing this issue as well..

We create a list with:
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-POST-lists

This is returning all valid data with an id for the list, which
indicates it was successfully created..

However when we try to get status for the list it is returning 404

Then we try to get the lists using

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-GET-lists

And it is not returned in the result, the newly created list is also
not on the twitter website..

however if we include the description parameter(with empty content)
the list is created and returns expected data and does show up on the
twitter website..

There is a bug here...  The work around is to just include an empty
description field, which should not break anything in the future
either.