I can confirm this. I've tried using twitter-async (PHP) and curl.
They return XML or a JSON indicating a successful complete when trying
to create a list, but no list is created unless I add a description
variable.

Note, this only started happening this week! Earlier this week I used
the exact same code and it created a list fine. Something must have
changed this week.

Sumit