To all who are wondering about this - I raised this issue and some
suggestions a while back, got 1 response from Twitter, but when I asked the
dev community who else struggles with this, it was awfully silent (perhaps
people hoping Twitter would never deprecate basic auth)... See this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_frm/thread/ac
5632554444efcb