At Flaptor we use a CharField(max_length=20) which is big enough and
seems reasonable since it is usually obtained from and used in urls.
If you're interested in having a sorted index with the ids then you
would have to look into bigger integer data types or add 0 padding
behavior to your field.

Regards,
Santiago