Thanks guys,

I think I will go for the Big Integer .. 2^64 (unsigned) should be
plenty - unless tweet ID's can suddenly be negative (which 2^63 is
still a lot).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/numeric-type-overview.html

Main reason that it's nice to be able to say "give me the largest
tweet ID for this person", which would be cumbersome if it was stored
as a string.

I'll cross the bridge then 2^64 is not enough :/

Cheers,

Jay