Raffi,

True, but then require each application to send its own API Key along
with each request. That API Key can be issued on a page where you
register an application with Twitter.

Yes, I understand that brings us back to the issue I raised in my
first post.

But, from a user experience, it is exponentially simpler than the
OAuth workflow, and for a developer it is also exponentially easier.
It's simple copy and paste for the user as opposed to being shunted
back and forth in a browser, and it requires virtually no additional
coding for a developer. And for Twitter, you can still identify the
app, and you have all the control you have with OAuth.

It's a simple yet very effective solution.