Bandwidth is likely to only be a small fraction of your total cost when
consuming the firehose. If you want to focus on this small part and ignore
all the other dominating costs, the prudent systems engineer would provision
2x to 3x daily peak to account for traffic spikes, growth, backlog
retrieval, and to keep latency to a minimum. Not all have such requirements,
though. So, somewhere between 5 and 15 mbit, very very roughly. Your
requirements will certainly vary.

The filtered and sampled streams are where virtually everyone will wind up.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.