Thanks!! We see so much in the "social media marketing" space about "measuring ROI" and "competing on analytics" that it's difficult to get executive buy-in where we know they should be going. Real-time is where the analytics market is going - I'm really surprised Google hasn't put up something like that yet, since Woopra and Clicky already do that.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos

Quoting Rex Dixon <rexduffdi...@gmail.com>:

The official Bit.ly Answer:

What you're seeing are total decodes, as opposed to total click-
throughs measured by JavaScript on the page. Decodes can be caused by
bots, and by applications, like browser plug-ins, which expand the
underlying url without causing a click-through.

If you download a browser plug-in that automatically expands short
urls, for instance, it looks a lot like a human user to an analytics
program.

Absent JavaScript on the page, it's hard to distinguish between a
decode and an intentional click-through. At the end of the day, Bit.ly
complements rather than replaces JavaScript-based analytics utililties
like Google Analytics or Chartbeat.

You should probably read the following articles when you get a sec:
http://searchengineland.com/how-twitter-might-send-far-more-traffic-than-you-think-21482
http://searchengineland.com/is-twitter-sending-you-500-to-1600-more-traffic-than-you-might-think-22696

Rex
Bit.ly Community Mgr.