ReadWriteWebs's Co-Editor, Marshall Kirkpatrick, suggests today that
Twitter intends to leave the annotation classification system to be
determined by the market.
http://bit.ly/csK8Od

Although I appreciate that Twitter values keeping the annotation
ecosystem open for innovation and adaptation, I hope the conversation
on Linked Data metadata standards within Twitter annotations is just
beginning.

It could be an historic lost opportunity if the hard driving Twitter
team doesn’t step back and consider soliciting the counsel of the W3C,
Sir TB-L, Nigel Shadbolt and others in the Linked Data community.
After all, Metaweb's Freebase team is just 3 blocks away.