A great suggestion, yes. In a world where every Twitter client were
geo-aware and provided features that would allow for easy segmentation by
area (and the API features to match), I would very much recommend that
approach. Much of the discoverability features based on locale are present
today.

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod