I moved my web based app from basic auth to oAuth just last week. I
subsequently got several pleas from Chinese users to put the old
version back up, as they could no longer use my app, since access to
Twitter.com is blocked in China.

This issue has discussed in this group before here:
https://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/39b8b326d8b679c6

Being a frontend developer, I may have misunderstood the outcome of
that discussion (I certainly hope so). But from Raffi's last comment
there ("understood, but, right now, not in the plan.  web apps will
have to use the standard oauth workflow.") I understand that web app
users in countries like China where twitter is blocked will simply no
longer be able to use Twitter via the web.

Have I understood this correctly? If not, how can I make sure users in
blocked countries can still use my web app? If my users can no longer
use my app, what do you suggest I recommend them?

Jaron