I now see that http://search.twitter.com is at the top of the search
docs on dev.twitter.com, but all the example URLs on that page use
http://api.twitter.com/1/, which is where I got it. Oddly,
apiwiki.twitter.com uses http://search.twitter.com in its examples,
but I thought the dev site was the more authoritative source now.

I'll be sure to change my tutorial to use the right one. I need to do
more testing, but the other issues do seem to be due to this
confusion.

Thanks much.