Twitter, your "since_id" feature has been broken since October 2009,
and it is STILL broken. And yet you warn us that not using it will
result in blacklisting? Your search API is unreliable when since_id is
used. Someone at Twitter mistakenly closed the bug in December but oh
yes, it still exists, it still gets plenty of comments. Fix that
before requiring it to be used. Unacceptable.

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1154