Thanks for the question. The geo docs are being updated at the moment and
we've noticed various bits of them have gone missing, including search.
We're looking into why that is at the moment.

You can directly access the information on the method by visiting:
http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/geo/search

You can use max_results to limit the number of places which are matched -
just know we have a known issue at the moment where the API sometimes
returns 0 results when max_results=1.
You can also include the query=Staples%20Center to do a place name search

In terms of relevance I assume you mean relevance based on the accuracy of
the name to what you desire. The API does a very simple AND search for each
word in the query you pass it. This means you would need to post process the
results to find what you consider the most relevant one.

Your simple algorithm description sounds like an approach that would work.

Hope that helps,
Matt

--

Matt Harris