Quoting "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@borasky-research.net>:

Quoting Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com>:

I'm being locked out on my account using the API and I'm seeing
reports from others. At the moment making a request to
http://api.twitter.com/version/account/rate_limit_status.json comes
back saying I have 8 calls left and it will be reset at 07:54, but the
time is currently 13:18!
The time for the reset has been the same since at least 8am.

Confirming. This seems to have started last night.

I saw something similar - erratic behavior when non-authenticated.
Normally it says 75 calls per hour, number of calls left and a fair
amount of time until reset. But sometimes it jumps down to one second
left and stays there, eventually causing a hard rate limit. I haven't
tried this morning - I can try again in about two hours.

Now it's solidly refusing to let me access the API:

limit: 75, remaining: 0, seconds_to_go: 1, ratio: 0.00, sleep: 1.0
Rate limit exceeded. Clients may not make more than 75 requests per hour.

This was on an unauthenticated rate limit status call in Net::Twitter - I'll have to do some digging to get the HTTP data but I can try that later (from a different IP address).