Absolutely do not reset the connection and reconnect. Connections should be
long-lived on the Streaming API.

This is almost certainly a problem with the read throughput of your client,
or, less likely, with bandwidth from your system. Run curl(1) from the same
system and grep for the date field. It will almost certainly not fall
behind.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.