Larry,

moreover, I assume you checked I/O and CPU load. But even if that's not the
issue, you should absolutely check if you have simplejson with c extension
installed. The python included version is 1.9 which is decidedly slower than
the new 2.x branch. You might see json decoding load drop by 50% or more.

Pascal