To add to this, the exact search index is related to the frequency of Tweets
and their relevance. The role of search.twitter.com is to provide a
real-time, relevant search of what is being discussed on Twitter now instead
of an archival search through the history of Twitter. A good resource to
understand what isn't indexed in search is this help article:

http://support.twitter.com/groups/32-something-s-not-working/topics/118-search/articles/66018-my-tweets-or-hashtags-are-missing-from-search-known-issue

To answer your question about the search index history, we don't publish
that information. The size of the index fluctuates based on the number of
Tweets being made which means, the more Tweets there are the shorter the
index period is.
We're working to improve the duration of the search index and improve the
relevance of the results.

Best,
Matt

--