Yes, I understand that, and this wasn't the point for the development
of the app, but it was a bonus (unintended) side affect, that, quite
frankly, Twitter benefits from, in terms of usage statistics, volume,
etc.

And, as mentioned, I'm willing to bet this wasn't thought about during
the conversion to OAuth by twitter.  By cutting this collective group
of users off (unintentionally), I just think it is going to have more
of an impact (at least short term), than realized.