IHMO the discussion of international politics and social media should take place in a wider forum, such as Twitter itself, and not be limited to oAuth vs. basic authentication. ;-) There was a keynote speech at Open Source Bridge 2010 by Danny O'Brien about this - see http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/478 and http://www.cpj.org/ to get started.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

Quoting earth2marsh <ma...@earth2marsh.com>:

At least "people at work" have the potential to use phones to access
Twitter…

I'm worried about users like those in China behind The Great Firewall.
Currently, they can interact with Twitter by using proxies and http
basic auth. But OAuth requires access to twitter.com (or some sort of
mediation). xAuth could be a solution, but there is already a shortage
of clients that support alternate endpoints, and some of those use
OAuth instead of xAuth (or neither).

When basic auth is shut off, who knows how many Chinese voices will
fall silent… or in North Korea. Or in Iran. Or in …?

I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.

Marsh