There are many elements to Twitter, the API, and the stack the runs the
whole site. It is possible, though rare, that you'll see this error in other
conditions.

Looking at your signature base string here, I notice that you don't include
a separator between the URL you are executing and the parameters -- that
first %26 you have in your signature base string shouldn't be encoded.. it
should just be "&" as it works as a separator between portions:

$HTTP_METHOD + "&" percent_encoded($REQUEST_URI) + "&"
percent_encoded($URL_ENCODED_PARAMETERS)

Taylor