The User Streams product launch is moving along as planned. We haven't had
any downtime and we've only had a few subtle functionality problems to
refine. In short, all is going very well. End-users have been overwhelmingly
positive about the experience of real-time updates without rate limits.
We're very excited about getting User Streams out to everyone!

We intend to move this product into an open beta test period soon, and then
on into full production shortly thereafter. We have a few more
developer-facing changes to make, and a bit more tinkering with the
production environment to do before we can move on to these next steps.
These changes may require minor code changes on some clients, and we'll have
to allow some time for these changes to be pushed and to settle out.

The plan remains as previous announced. A re-cap:

1) All desktop client developers are encouraged to transition to User
Streams and reduce their reliance on the REST API.

2) Web sites and other large scale integrations are not supported on User
Streams and must use Site Streams. Apply for the beta test here:
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/site_streams

3) Prototype against betastream.twitter.com/2b/user.json, but do not ship
product against this preview cluster. Limit your prototype distribution to
at most a few dozen controlled instances.

4) Contact us at a...@twitter.com so that we can move you onto the full User
Streams cluster. We need to ensure that there's sufficient capacity, that we
have a valid contact information, and other implementation details have been
addressed.

5) Once stable on the new endpoint, release beta test versions of your
client against the User Streams cluster.

6) Push updates to your beta testers as required.

7) User Streams will move into a fully-open beta period in several weeks,
and the preview endpoint will be removed.

8) Following a successful beta period, User Streams will graduate into full
production status.

Apologies if you received unclear messages about the status of this product
launch. At least one developer fell through the cracks, and I want to ensure
that everyone has appropriate access to this API.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Twitter, Inc.