The best way to accomplish this, and the way that is most likely to stand
the test of time, is to fetch the RSS feed of a user timeline like any other
API method.

Instead of the URL format you're using now, I would recommend:

http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.rss?screen_name=xxxxxxxx&count=5

Taylor