Hey Rick,

It's the second time in a week that someone brings up the autofollow/
unfollow question (see also:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/msg/b7b1dfbf6500ab83)
and I would love to understand the "follow economy" once and for all.

First of all, you say that if someone is following you, you will
follow back, but if they are not following, you will unfollow. If you
are not yet following them, do you mean that you would block them?

What is the use case for auto-following, and why would it be so
important to unfollow users who do not follow back? Is there a cost?
Are those users' tweets less interesting if they aren't following you?
I mean, we can't all be followed by Justin Bieber! Personally, I'm
over that...

If one succeeds in building up an account that follows and is followed
back by thousands of users - as seems to be the goal - does one ever
actually visit the account? It can't possibly make any sense to access
such an account via twitter.com. Are there tools that can render such
an account usable or meaningful? Finally, why the pretense of
following if one will never actually read the users' tweets? Does
Twitter have in mind to adapt the system to this reality?

This is not a rant, I sincerely want to know!