It looks like you're running curl from the command line. Try wrapping the
entire URL in quotes - this would make your request:
    curl
"http://search.twitter.com/search.json?geocode=37.781157,-122.398720,15km&lang=en&rpp=100";
 > file.txt

Alternatively leave out the quotes and escape the &. e.g. lang=en&rpp=100
becomes lang=en\&rpp=100

Best,
@themattharris