Edward, I'm going to jump in on the partner issue, since that is my
big point. I think you are thinking too small when you say " If you
want to be a "partner" with Twitter, *you* are the one who needs to
have something to offer *them* IMHO." One dev is very small compared
to Twitter. 10,000 devs is a labor force. 100,000 devs is a market
that protects Twitter from *any* competitor, including Google. We are
all partners, because we all make money. You look old enough to
remember dBASE. That was a huge labor force that protected Ashton-Tate
for years when they had a product with technical limitations. Sound
familiar? Corporations and government agencies used dBASE not because
it was *best*, but because they could find many qualified developers.
Ashton-Tate started attacking their developers in 1988, when they were
one of the top 5 software companies. They were out of business 3 years
later.

If Twitter wants to be embedded into the infrastructure of
corporations around the world, they must have outside developers. If
they want it to be a cool toy for the Kardashians and Justin Beiber to
amuse their fans. They don't need us at all. It is their choice.

Adam Green
Twitter API Consultant and Trainer
http://140dev.com
@140dev