Andrew ,
   Thank you for such a measured response. I'm not looking at the immediate
action of stopping whitelisting by twitter. I must add, that, if a certain
feature requires an application process, I had doubts in my ability to
convince twitter, that, I really deserve to be in the list.

I believe I've also mentioned in my mail ,that , we, as a team/company, have
already made arrangements which does not require us to use whitelisting.
Perhaps, since, my initial mail was a rant, but, not a structured 'reply' it
got lost in whatever I said.

What I say is essentially this. Twitter seems to be discouraging developers
whose products have the potential who increasing their userbase. It almost
as If I'm hearing that, 'WE DONT WANT ANYMORE USERS' . We're tired of
managing the existing number.

I don't disagree that nobody should make plans on features which have no
guarantees [whitelisting], that, they will continue in future. But, by
putting such limits isn't Twitter running the risk of becoming just another
product.

The creation of the facebook development platform was responsible in
spawning a market leader in gaming field i.e ZYNGA.But, These limits by
twitter dont allow someone to think about a new idea. He will stop thinking
that ; what if I get traffic ? Anyhow, twitter will block me if I cross
their rate limit. How can an innovator think in such an environment?

I'm not sure if you find this as conjecture. This , to me , is a logical
line of reasoning.

Anyhow,
     We ,as a team , have planned on working with a worst case scenario.
twitter's search API is very important to us. We never planned for
whitelisting, we dont need it.  The only worry is if tomorrow, (hopefully),
if we generate traffic from our product, will twitter just stop the 'SEARCH
API' . We need to know that.

Clarity in this will go a long way.

I hope I haven't offended anybody here.  These are views , since, we as a
team , feel that we can create something path-breaking using twitter as our
backend resource. We will only help twitter that way.

Thanks & Regards
Umashankar Das