Hi to you both:

Ken: The API should be rejecting the duplicates. Do you have an example
where the duplicate is being allowed through?

Tammy: The guidelines for automated Tweets can be found on our support site.
Some helpful resources are:
    http://support.twitter.com/articles/18311-the-twitter-rules
which links to our Automated Rules and Best Practices:
    http://support.twitter.com/entries/76915

If you have any specific queries about policy and whether what you plan to
do is allowed or not please contact our policy team. You can reach them
through the email address:
    a...@twitter.com

Best,
@themattharris