Yeah, I've used that tool with my real full base string and everything
appears OK. Thanks for the pointer though, I'm sure that tool will
come in handy again. :)

I have seen some blog posts issuing warnings over .NET's various ways
of RFC3986 encoding, but this doesn't appear to be the issue here...
I'll look into the hashing and base 64 encoding some more...

(I've been working through this for almost two days now. Although this
is the stuff I love doing in programming, it would be really nice if
twitter could improve/make some documentation for oob.)