Hi Ed,

@Anywhere is an effort to provide a client-side authentication &
authorization flow to Twitter REST API integrations: a simpler, more
frictionless experience for common Twitter actions. While @Anywhere meets
this criteria, there is obvious room for continued simplification, both for
end-users and implementors. @Anywhere applications still require a developer
to register an application and the end-user to make additional approvals for
that application construct.

The "Twitter for Websites" arm of the Twitter Platform (Tweet Button, Follow
Button, and Web Intents) provides integrators with even simpler solutions
that don't require API keys. By utilizing the end user's logged in state,
the gulf between the user's intention to act and the action being
accomplished is bridged. While the Buttons, like @anywhere, use Javascript,
the building blocks they use, Web Intents, provide perhaps the most atomic
form of frictionless integration: simple URLs that can be linked from any
web-enabled context, with or without Javascript.

Web Intents and the Tweet & Follow Buttons are the best fit for a wide swath
of integration points. Deeper integrations are still best serviced by
server-side REST integrations or @Anywhere.

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary