Thanks for the reply. On one website, I'm accessing the timeline for a
protected account; on the other website, the account is not protected.
For both, I'm using this URL:
https://api.twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline.xml.
Both stopped working last week.

The oauth example script I posted above requests the oauth token and
secret from the account, then passes it back with the request (you can
see that by checking the $params value before the request). In my own
script, I simply have the token and secret saved in constants and then
I pass them from there. Neither approach is working for me now. I did
notice that the token and secret returned by the request_token API
call are different from the token and secret that I see displayed on
the my_token page in my Twitter account (https://dev.twitter.com/apps/
nnnnnn/my_token), and the values returned from the API are different
every time. Does that tell us anything?

Here's what my request_token request looks like:

POST https://api.twitter.com/oauth/request_token
Authorization: OAuth realm="", oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1",
oauth_signature="[27 characters]%3D", oauth_nonce="[13 characters]",
oauth_timestamp="1308241110", oauth_token="",
oauth_consumer_key="[consumer key]", oauth_version="1.0"

This returns values for oauth_token, oauth_token_secret and
oauth_callback_confirmed (but the token values don't match what I see
in my account).

Here's what my user_timeline request looks like:

GET https://api.twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline.xml
Authorization: OAuth realm="", oauth_token="[oauth token]",
oauth_token_secret="[oauth token secret]",
oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1", oauth_signature="[27 characters]
%3D", oauth_nonce="[13 characters]", oauth_timestamp="1308241629",
oauth_consumer_key="[consumer key]", oauth_version="1.0"

This returns the 401 error whether I send the token values returned by
request_token or the token values I got from my account.