Yes, I've made both of those changes, as I mentioned in my June 16
post. I just ran the requests again; here's what the request headers
look like now. The first is the token request and the second is the
timeline request:

POST https://api.twitter.com/oauth/request_token
Authorization: OAuth realm="", oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1",
oauth_signature="[8 chars]%2F[18 chars]%3D", oauth_nonce="[13 chars]",
oauth_timestamp="1309193079", oauth_token="",
oauth_consumer_key="[consumer key from application settings page]",
oauth_version="1.0"

(This returns a response body containing name/value pairs for
oauth_token, oauth_token_secret and oauth_callback_confirmed. However,
the token values don't match the token values I see when I log into my
Twitter account and look at my application settings.)

GET https://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.xml?count=1
Authorization: OAuth realm="", oauth_token="[access token from
application settings page]", oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1",
oauth_signature="%2F[26 chars]%3D", oauth_nonce="[13 chars]",
oauth_timestamp="1309193079", oauth_consumer_key="[consumer key from
application settings page]", oauth_version="1.0"

(This returns a response body containing the same error as before,
"This method requires authentication." The response also includes the
HTTP header "X-Warning: Invalid OAuth credentials detected.")

Does the URL for the first request also need to contain the version
number? Taylor didn't mention that, but when I add it, that first
request returns the error "Request failed with code 401: Invalid /
expired Token." I'm not sure if I even need that first request,
because I can get the access token manually from my application
settings page.