A users access_token for a single application wont change unless it gets
revoked (and maybe an edgecase or two). You can have your users authorized
your app with xAuth and once they go through the web flow from any browser
the access_token already in the application will beg upgraded to access DMs.
Just make sure you use the same consumer key both times.

Abraham
Abraham Williams | InboxQ <http://inboxq.com/> | abrah.am
@abraham <https://twitter.com/intent/follow?screen_name=abraham> |
github.com/abraham | blog.abrah.am