A few things come to mind.  First, what kind of SMTP Server is
receiving the e-mails on the other end?  This might be important, as
some servers have some weird, non-standard requirements or modus
operandi.  Second, are you positive that your ICS application is
sending a QUIT command at the end of the transaction? Some servers
require this in order to queue a message, and if the connection is
closed without receiving the QUIT command, they might dismiss the
message.  And third, the server might be rejecting messages from your
ICS client because it does not recognize the MUA as a "valid" one,
while it recognizes OE as a legitimate mailer.

Can you post, or send by private message, a verbose log of a complete
SMTP transaction between your ICS client and the server, from one of
those messages that is "lost"?  Also, you might want to compare the
headers sent by your ICS client and those sent by OE.  Try mimicking OE
by forging the message's headers to look like Outlook Express' and see
if that helps.

        dZ.