I'll just add to that one bit.  There is a good balance between 100%
moderation and spam control which is what I follow on my mailing lists
on Yahoo!

My default policy is that a user cannot post unmoderated.  Anyone can
sign on and "listen" but when they want to post, their *first* post is
moderated by me.  When a new user posts to the list, I check if it is
spam - if it's spam, I don't bother with it.  If it's a reasonable post,
I allow it and change the user's status to being unmoderated.

It works very very well!  The only way someone can spam is if they first
post a relevant on-topic email.  I don't know if spam bots do that yet...

Cheers
Mohit.