Francois Piette wrote:
> Designing a system having in mind variable length data will result in a
> better system. Variable length can do fixed length easily, not the reverse.

It is variable length, but I'm only writing the socket layer. Basically,
I'm given data in an unknown form and being asked for a given amount of
data. The rest of the protocol is not up to me, so I cannot make any
assumption on what my layer will transmit.
 From what I see, the layers above are designed to cope with the fact
that I only give as much data as I have when I'm being asked for it so
there are no issues here.
It's just that switching to line mode or not depending on the content is
not possible, my layer must not have this sort of intelligence. This is
because it allows to write other layers that use other transportation
protocols such as Serial port, UDP, bluetooth and so on...

Thanks for the help
Cheers
Olivier