> Instead use TAdoDataset for SELECT only and TAdoConnection /
> TAdoCommand for other queries

TAdoConnection works fine for SELECT as well, synchronously the EXECUTE
method returns a _Recordset, as does the ExecuteComplete event for async
use.

Higher level ADO and DB components do integrate with VCL, but I've always
found it easier to build my own EXECUTE statements and parse the
resultset (ie Recordset.Fields[0].Value) to fill VCL properties.
There's nothing worse than a bad date causing an AV filling a date picker.
I had a bad day on 29th February this year.

Angus