> Of course it's just my imho, but wouldn't it better to switch to
> modern technologies like message boards/forums? Nailing list...
> forgive me, but it's an ancient ages stuff. Main inconvenience is a
> huge quotations in each mail, and the further in discussion, the
> larger they grow, sometimes including 3 or 4 mails! So the digest
> becomes terrifying, and hard to read new info.

Only for lazy people that attach the entire previous message including
all the unsubscribe information.

For people using proper threaded mail clients, no quoting atall should be
necessary.

But most forums I see also include massive quoting, and show entire
threads on a single page, so you have to scroll past all the messages
you've seen before to see is anyone has added a comment.  So you waste
hours and hours looking for new messages, unlike a decent email client
that allows each new email message to be seen by a simple CR key.   Ditto
a decent NNTP reader.   So I rarely read any web forums.

But I agree people should have a choice and how to post and read messages.
I'm currently trying to set-up forums on my new hosted Windows 2008
Server, without spending to much (more) money.  Ideally I wanted
something that would allow both web and NNTP access, similarly to the
Codegear forums, but I've been unable to find anything at a reasonable
price, such software seems aimed at large corporations with unlimited
budgets.  The best I've found so far is

http://www.yetanotherforum.net/

which is a .net application with source code.  It has unfinished NNTP
capability, which seemed simply to echo new articles to an NNTP server.

If anyone has found better forum/mail/NNTP software for Windows, I'd be
happy to host it.

Angus