Hello Arno,

1GB  networks  are  very difficult to tune as many hardware behind the
network cards can't handle such high speed, for example hard drives on
"client"  machines  usually  can't handle full 1Gb speed reception and
will  stay  at average 80-100Mb only this making different bottlenecks
on the machine that could go 100% CPU when it should not.

Also  an  other  thing, if you force 10Mb or 100Mb on one side you may
encouter  some  problem  if other side is set to auto-negotiate as the
other side will always try to re-negotiate to higher speed (and them
produce a lot of garbage due to negotiation).

regards.