> > Try setting the network speed to 10 Mbps (you should be able to set
> > the speed in the hardware config).
>
> I changed it from Autodetect to 10 MBit/s full duplex. There's now
> just 0-1% CPU use

So cleary now your are in a network bound situation.
With 100 Mbps your are still in network boudn situation.
With 1Gbps your are clearly in a CPU bound application.
All that looks normal for me. This doesn't mean that it is what you intend.

> and the connection became incredible slow, much too
> slow, that must have messed up something.

Check that the other side agree with 10 Mbps and do not spend a lot of time
trying to negociate another speed.
--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be