> Ok, so what I am trying to establish is that it must be my software
> that is causing the problem.

I didn't say that, it's probably the control channel dropping, either a
network problem or the server disconnecting the session.

> There must be some sneaky situation where I am
> triggering a new command before the previous one has finished.

I said some methods trigger more than one command, the various Connect
methods use a sequence of commands, and all upload and download methods
do PORT or PASV before GET or PUT.  So the not ready error can occur
during any of these commands.

I'm not sure what your original problem was, error handling is something
necessary for all network applications, networks die.

Angus