> I ran into a similar problem while testing some of my software.
> After a couple of days of pulling my hair out, I thought to change
> out my router and the problem disappeared. I never did determine
> what was wrong with the router.

Many routers support NAT, which is quite messy for the FTP protocol which
have connections coming and going on different ports, which the router
has to keep track of, sometimes modifying the control channel protocol to
correct the IP address from internal to external, or vice versa.  This IP
translation is why many sites suggest using Passive mode so only outgoing
connections are made, but a 'real' router will do non-passive properly as
well.

All this processing can be too much for some NAT routers, particularly
cheap ones (like Netgear) designed when internet connections were lovely
and slow and an underpowered box got away with it. Put a cheap box on a
120 meg cable modem and it will probably limit your speed and introduce
strange bugs.

Hardware firewalls are even worse, since they check every packet passing
through against massive lists of threats, and it needs a beefy processor
to keep up with modern speeds.  I buy a new Sonicwall firewall router
every couple of years to try and keep up with internet speeds, but even
my latest TZ215 with gig ports can not offer the same speed as my cable
modem.