Hello Aurelio,

sorry to insist on this, but I still think that having three
verbatim-like marks might not be such a good idea.

On 02/03/2010 11:11, Aurélio Jargas wrote:
> Hello Emmanuel,
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 04:51, Emmanuel Godard
> <emmanuel.god...@lif.univ-mrs.fr>  wrote:
>> On 18/02/2010 12:41, Aurélio Jargas wrote:
>>   >  [..]
>>> As you can see, the raw mark was created mainly to produce the
>>> txt2tags guides, because I needed to insert literal texts like
>>> **bold** and didn't want them to be parsed as a txt2tags mark. I doubt
>>> users not writing txt2tags documentation will have much use for this
>>> mark. So it's better to just forget it.
>> Do you mean this will be deprecated?
>
> No! I still need it to produce the txt2tags guides :)

I do understand you are using it but my point (and this was also the
question of the initial post, as you can see with the thread subject) is
whether we really need the escaping that comes with the raw mark.
Or put it differently, what do we do with raw marks that can not as
easily be done with tagged marks.

I have done an experiment. I took the userguide source file. I have
replaced " by ' and processes the file. Then on the html file, I have
done the inverse conversion. Finally, I have done a diff on the two
files (the one from source with " and the one from source with ').
Besides the MoinMoin rant (where '''' was already used) there is *no*
difference between the two html files!

Fairly enough, the user doc is broken with the current svn (as said in a
.. the ""%%MTIME"" macro ..
would better be written
.. the ``%%MTIME`` macro ..
), but here is again my question, maybe it would be better to drop the
escaping in raw mode, and not introduce the third tagged mark if you
plan to release a 2.6 ? As a side effect, we would get back the
possibility to mix the " and `, and the user doc would compile correctly
again :)

As previously said, I am only knowledgeable of a small subset of
txt2tags targets (namely html and latex), so I probably miss some
interesting use cases. But I am quite puzzled that the mostly used tags
might end up to be the very similarly looking '' and ``.

Regards,
Emmanuel