Here is the calendar of upcoming events for the first quarter of 2000.
There is a wide array of activities this quarter and we hope that you will
come out and experience as much as possible.

Please note -- We kindly request that you RSVP to the contact listed for
any event you are planning on attending.  This is the only way to ensure
that you can be notified in case of an event change.  Each event has a
specific person (or people) to contact for more information and to RSVP.
Please direct correspondence directly to the contact listed, as that is
the best way to ensure that your questions/comments/concerns/RSVPs will be
received in a timely fashion.

And now for the events. . .

1. Thurs. Jan. 6th, 7:00 PM Y2K Recovery Gathering for desserts
2. Sat. Jan. 15,  *TENTATIVE*  -- -- Ice Skating, Location and Time, TBA
3. Sat.  Jan 22, 6 PM, Pre-Film Fest Mixer; 7:30 PM, Film Screening, Cup
Final
4. Tues. Feb. 8th, 7:30 PM, Discussion: Judaism's Philosophy on Heaven and
Hell
5. Sat. Feb. 12th, 7:30 PM, TYJP's 3rd Annual Dating Game!,  Location TBA
6. Fri. Feb. 25th, 6:00 PM, Graduate/Professional Shabbat at Duke
7. Wed. March 8, 7:00 PM, Happy Hour at Bailey's in Chapel Hill
8. Sat. March 18, 8:00, Purim Bash, Raleigh, Location TBA
9. Sun. March 26, 1:30 PM, Carolina Hurricanes Hockey
10. Sun. April 2 11:00 AM, TYJP Planning and Bagels

**************************
Y2K RECOVERY GATHERING, January 6th, 7:00 PM

To RSVP or for more information, contact:
Suzie Wolf at 469-2970 or
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Y2K RECOVERY GATHERING
Coffee, Tea, and Sweets of the New Millennium
Where:  Cool Mountain Creamery & Cafe (known for their home made ice
cream)
When:  7:00 PM on January 6th (Thursday)

To RSVP or for more information contact Suzie Wolf at 469-2970 or
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Directions:

>From Durham & Chapel Hill - 40 East, exit 293A (the sign says Sanford &
Wake Forest off of 40), go towards Sanford and Ashboro on US 1 South.
When you merge back onto the expressway (pass the exits for Walnut Street) stay in the
right lane.  Take the Cary Parkway exit (it will be the first exit), at the top
of the ramp turn left (onto Cary Parkway).  From the bridge over the expressway
it is approximately 1/2 mile on the left.  There is a strip shopping
center and the Cool Mountain Creamery is an outparcel building on the
corner of Cary Parkway and Tryon Rd.

>From Raleigh - Take the Cary Parkway exit off of US 1 South (may also be
known as 440 but I'm not sure), at the top of the ramp turn left (onto
Cary Parkway).  From the bridge over the expressway it is approximately
1/2 mile on the left. There is a strip shopping center and the Cool
Mountain Creamery is an outparcel building on the corner of Cary Parkway and Tryon Rd.

*TENTATIVE -- Saturday, Jan. 15 -- Ice Skating, Location and Time TBA

To RSVP or for more information
contact Erika: ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 596-0377).

Saturday, Jan. 15 -- Ice Skating, Location and Time TBA

Join TYJP as we have our much anticipated return to the ice.  We are
currently investigating renting the rink so that we can have the place to
ourselves.  Not only does that decrease the highly mobile knee-high
hazards, but it will also enable us the opportunity to play broomball on
half the ice if desired.  In order to reserve ice though, the session must
be held after midnight.

Please RSVP to Erika ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 596-0377), ASAP if you are
interested and willing to commit.

Saturday,  Jan 22, 6:00 PM, Pre-Jewish Film Fest Mixer at Satisfaction's

To RSVP or for more information
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 858-5607.

Saturday,  Jan 22, 6:00 PM, Pre-Jewish Film Fest Mixer at Satisfaction's
(Private Room) - Brightleaf, Durham 7:30 PM, Screening, Cup Final

Join TYJP at Satisfaction's in a Private room (It's only us) for a
pre-film mixer.  Have a drink, dinner, or appetizer before heading to the
2nd Annual North Carolina Jewish Film Festival.  There are many
performances and films, but we've picked Cup Final as it looked most
intriguing to critic-extrordinaire, Dave Kaye.

The film festival runs from Jan 20 - Jan 23 and includes 18 films with
varying titles, including There's No Such Thing As A Chanuka Bush.

Please RSVP for the consideration of the wait staff.  Need info?  call
Dave at 858-5607 or e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's a short description of the 7:30 PM Screening: Cup Final.
An effort to reconcile some of the differences between Israelis and
Palestinians, Eran Riklis's CUP FINAL uses the cliche of a beleaguered
platoon with a POW whom they eventually come to accept as a fellow pawn in
the larger political struggle.  The catalyst for this realization is a
shared love for soccer and a devotion to the Italian national team in the
World Cup match.

For more information about:
the film, visit http://www.tvguide.com/MovieDB
the North Carolina Jewish Film Festival, visit
http://www.carolinatheater.org/ncjff00schedud.html
Satisfaction's- http://triangle.citysearch.com/E/V/RDUNC/0003/11/06/

****************************

Tuesday, February 8th, 7:30pm.  Discussion: Judaism's Philosophy on Heaven
and Hell

To RSVP or for more information, contact
Marianne at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tuesday, February 8th, 7:30pm.  Discussion: Judaism's Philosophy on Heaven
and Hell.

Join TYJP for a discussion with Beth Meyer's Rabbi Bockman for a
discussion on Judaism's Philosophy on Heaven and Hell at the social hall
at the Beth Meyer synagogue.

For more information or to RSVP, contact Marianne at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

****************************

Saturday, February 12th, 7:30pm.  TYJP's 3rd Annual Dating Game!,
Location TBA

To RSVP or for more information, contact
Erika: ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 596-0377);
Sharon: ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 844-9663 ); or
Gary: ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 363-5411)

Saturday, February 12th, 7:30pm.  TYJP's 3rd Annual Dating Game!,
Location TBA

It's back!  TYJP's 3rd Annual Dating Game is back by popular demand.
Don't miss this opportunity to come out and mingle and watch as some of
the most eligible singles in the Triangle answer some delicate questions
in an effort to meet their bashayrt (one and only or special someone for
those of you who don't speak Yiddish).

More details will be forthcoming shortly.  If you are interested in
participating, please let us know ASAP!

****************************

Friday, February 25th, 6:00pm.  Graduate/Professional Shabbat at Duke

To RSVP or for more information, contact
Helena: [EMAIL PROTECTED], 684-6526

February 25, Graduate/Professional Shabbat, Freeman Center @ Duke

Tonight the Freeman Center for Jewish Life is ours (no undergrads)!!!

Services 6:00 PM.
Kosher dinner @ 7:00 PM by our amazing chefs!!!!
Cost $10

Everyone is invited to bring their own refreshment to "chill" in the
lounge upstairs following dinner.

Must RSVP by Tuesday, February 22 @ 5:00 PM to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
#684-6526.

****************************

Wednesday, March 8, 7:00, Happy Hour at Bailey's in Chapel Hill

To RSVP or for more information
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 787-0196.

Happy Hour @ Bailey's in Chapel Hill
Wednesday, March 8, 7:00 PM

We're returning once again after a great turnout last time.  Come out and
join TYJP as we gather at Bailey's in Chapel Hill to schmooze over a drink
and perhaps a bite to eat. This is a sports bar with plenty of TV's and a
game room.

 For more info or to RSVP, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or call 787-0196.

****************************

Saturday, March 18, 8:00, Purim Bash, Raleigh, Location TBA

To RSVP or for more information
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 858-5607.

Saturday, March 18, 8:00, Purim Bash, Raleigh, Location TBS

Hey man it's a party for what happened to Haman.  Don't know the story?
Don't worry. Purim features a costume party, much like Halloween and it is
the traditional holiday where people give gifts (Chanukah wasn't the
first).  It is also the holiday of excess, cleverness, and silliness.  A
major theme of the holiday is that you should be so 'drunk' so as not to
know the difference between "Blessed be Mordechai" and "Cursed be Haman."
How to achieve the appropriate level of drunkenness is up to you.   Some
choose to become drunken with song, others with dancing.  Others may
choose an easier route.  It is all up to you.

Jews around the world will be in costume (of all varieties) for Purim.
While costume is optional, it is encouraged.  We'll be having a
best-costume contest with prizes.  TYJP will provide the hamantashan, food
and non-alcoholic beverages. BYOB.

Costs: Members -    $2 with RSVP by 3/12 ($5 without RSVP and after 3/12)
       Non-members -$5 with RSVP by 3/12 ($7 after 3/12 and at the door)

To RSVP or for more information, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call
858-5607.

**********************************

Sunday, March 26:  Hurricanes Hockey, 1:30 PM

To RSVP or for more information
contact Erika: ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 596-0377).

Sunday, March 26: Hurricanes Hockey, 1:30 PM

TYJP invades the Coolest Game On Earth as we head to the new Entertainment
and Sports Arena in Raleigh to see the New York Islanders take on your
Carolina Hurricanes.  Not only is the trip to the game much more
convenient this year, but the Islanders are pretty awful, so it should
provide a good opportunity to see the home team win a game.

We are exploring many options for discounted tickets.  We are estimating a
cost of $16 each if we go with the family plan.  However, we need to have
a firm count to ensure that everyone has a seat.  Therefore, Erika needs
to have you RSVP and send her money by March 12 in order to ensure that we
can all sit together.

To RSVP or for more information contact Erika: ([EMAIL PROTECTED],
596-0377).

**********************************

Sunday, April 2:  TYJP Planning and Bagels, 11 AM

To RSVP, or for more info, contact Sharon:
([EMAIL PROTECTED], 844-9663)

Sunday, April 2, Planning Meeting and Bagels at Sharon's House, 11AM
Join TYJP to help plan events for the new year.  New ideas are always
welcome.  If you are unable to attend, but have a great idea for an event,
call or email Sharon.  If you do plan to attend, and wish to partake in
the bagels, please RSVP to Sharon ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 844-9663) by Friday,
March 31.

TYJP is supported by annual membership dues and the local Jewish
Federations. For more information, please visit http://www.rtpnet.org or
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please support tyjp.

Have you missed or deleted a message? Visit the the tyjp mail archive at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tyjp-l%40rtpnet.org/ or click the link off our
home page at http://www.rtpnet.org/tyjp

END