Greetings All,

The Duck is going in to get a paint job next month and I am in the process of
removing most everything from the shell.  I pulled out the tarboards from the
engine compartment and I got to wondering..................surely there must
be a better insulator than these *%^&$#@ tarboards.

Recently when I was down in San Francisco I met a fellow Busser.  He had
removed the tarboard and placed some sort of foil faced solid insulation in
its place.  The pieces were sealed on the edge and the whole effect was that
of a professional job.  The metal tabs used to hold the tarboards were bent a
little lower to hold this new insulation.  Pretty spiffy.  Clod that I am, I
didn't ask him about that at the time.

Basically I'm looking for something rigid (I don't think I want to do the
floppy NASA stuff like Matt Bulley did), non flammable, and resistant to
chemicals which will insulate both for heat and sound.  I know others must
have conquered this little problem in the past.  Suggestions for materials or
resources?

TIA,  Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck