On 2026-09-14 01:04, Almaz Mingaleev via tz wrote:
We stopped updating Android 10 devices only last month [1]
(i.e. 7+ years of support and 2026c was the last TZDB update they've
received)

It is more than "few years". Though the rest still applies.

I was impressed to see those tzdata updates for my circa-2018 Essential PH-1 
phone, as Essential went out of business in early 2020. Luckily by then the 
phone was running Android 10 (released by Google on 2019-09-03 and pushed out 
by Essential the same day - those were the good old days!). So despite the lack 
of support from the no-longer-existing OEM the phone got tzdata updates via 
Android Pony Express containers until last month. Well done.

PS. I don't use this old phone for anything important like phone calls, and I 
am too lazy to unlock its bootloader and install something like LineageOS to 
boost its security. And of course not everybody has the means to buy a new 
phone when their old phone is no longer supported.

Reply via email to