Hi, folks

First time IANA list user. Apologies if I get the netiquette wrong (gentle 
corrections welcome).

I assume there are employees of Microsoft on the mailing list, who are the 
audience of my message.

I'm not placing fault with Microsoft as the MB government didn't provide ample 
notice that this change would take effect for 2026-11-01, but I'm wondering if 
someone from Microsoft come indicate how long of a wait there'll be until we 
have interim guidance from them on their timezone blog 
(https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/category/windows/blog/dstblog)?

It's unreasonable to expect a full timezone update to be in place for the 
October Patch Tuesday LCU but some kind of interim guidance would be welcomed.

>From my look through the available timezones on my Windows machine, it appears 
>"SA Pacific Standard Time" or "Eastern Standard Time (Mexico)" are the best 
>(least worst?) options for an interim timezone because they (A) are permanent 
>UTC-5 and (B) will be easy to detect and set to Manitoba Time (MBT) when that 
>update finally arrives (we don't have users permanently in those regions). 
>However, short of guidance from MSFT, I'm hesitant to commit to any path today.

Because most other Microsoft services are web-based or entirely in the web 
browser these days, I'd assume Windows timezone is the main concern and 
customers don't need to take specific action for MS365/Azure/etc services. That 
said, I was looking at (new) Outlook and Outlook on the web yesterday and the 
timezone configuration for calendaring within Outlook don't honor system time, 
but instead are saved/stored in the cloud service, so this is something I need 
Microsoft guidance on.

Thanks in advance!

Reply via email to